I’m a New Yorker, and I run. I get bored doing laps around the park or running up and down the Hudson River path. Instead, I use my long-distance runs to explore the neighborhoods in my city, especially in the outer boroughs. I’ve decided to take a cheap digital camera with me on some of my runs to document the city and its changes as seen when crossing on foot.


Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Things One Carries While Running

Your blogger sometimes finds running with a camera a bit awkward.

And then there a people who run with laser-sighted pistols loaded with hollow-point bullets.

From the AP:

AUSTIN -- Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry (R) told the Associated Press on Tuesday that he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he carries his .380 Ruger -- loaded with hollow-point bullets -- when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. But when a coyote came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.

I visited Austin a couple of years ago, and had a great run there along the river. It hadn't occurred to me that some of my fellow joggers might have been packing heat. I think I'm glad I didn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment